Advice, information and support is available for families and professionals affected by terminal illness.
The shock of a life-limiting illness will have a profound effect on all family members. Sometimes children and young people might not get the emotional support they need for a variety of reasons, therefore at this very difficult time the Children’s Bereavement Centre offers support tailored to their specific needs. The work that is undertaken is flexible to meet the needs of the child and family, some examples of this work is:
- Memory work, which can include journals, diaries, letters and cards.
- Helping parents explain the illness and medical process to the child by using age appropriate resources.
- Mediation to ascertain the young person’s wishes.
- Planning how limited time is spent together.
- Support for the family around child/young person’s emotional needs.
Our dedicated clinical team will respond to Pre – bereavement enquiries or referrals as soon as possible.